Summer is here, and for many, that often equates to many sleepless nights due to chronic illness and pain. Catch some zzz’s with these sleep tips!
Extreme temperatures and heat waves are just two reasons that those of us with chronic illnesses struggle to sleep during the summer months. Summer storms, extra activities, stress, and anxiety also play a role.
Today I am going to share some tips to help you sleep this summer!
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links. I am an Amazon and Walmart affiliate. I may earn a small commission to fund my Disney obsession if you use these links to make a purchase. You will not be charged extra and will keep me supplied with Pixie Dust and Mickey pretzels. It’s a win for everyone. I am not a medical professional, and nothing stated in this article should be mistaken for medical advice…
Summer sleep tips to beat the heat
- Turn on the air conditioner! Even if you don’t want the expense of running it all day, run it at night so you can sleep comfortably. Money saved by torturing yourself isn’t worth it.
- Whether you run your air conditioner or not, run fans! If sleeping with the windows open, place your fan in front of it to draw in the cool night’s air.
- Use cooling cloths.
- Cool your body with a bath and add Epsom salts or a CBD bath bomb!
- Use a cooling vest or icepacks
- Freeze your sheet or purchase a cooling blanket!
- Go with the flow. My days and nights get turned around with seasonal changes. If you are like me and have a flexible schedule, go with it!! I get more done and feel better when I follow my body’s lead and work the “night shift.” Within a few days, my body will automatically begin shifting to a more desirable schedule.
- Address pain before it gets out of control!
- If you live where recreational or medical use of cannabis is legal, give it a try. I never reached a level of restorative sleep until I tried cannabis.
- If cannabis with THC isn’t your thing, try CBD.
- Another natural and legal option is Pain Potion from Earthley.
- Address pain sources like I do throughout the day with PEMF therapy.
(This is an affiliate link. Purchasing through my link gives you a discount of $55 off of one PEMF device. Discount will show up at checkout.)
- Relax your leg and feet muscles with a magnesium-rich lotion, like Good Night Lotion. Or try a CBD or cannabis-infused topical oil.
Summer sleep tips to help you chill out
- Let go of the day’s stress and worries.
- Release your stress and worries through journaling or talking to your pet!
- Enjoy a mug of lavender tea.
- Try a bedtime yoga routine.
Clear your sleep space of distractions
- Turn off the television!
- Listen to soothing sounds on a sleep app like Calm. And listen comfortably with a Sleep Headphones Bluetooth Headband.
- Listen to relaxing music and count beats instead of sheep!
- If your pets sleep with you and are disturbing your sleep, have them sleep in a kennel or another room.
- If your spouse tosses and turns or snores, have one of you sleep in another room. Have them tested for sleep apnea. My husband’s CPAP machine saved us from having to sleep in separate rooms. A chin strap may also reduce the severity of their snoring.